The Chicago Department of Transportation’s mission is to keep the City of Chicago’s surface transportation networks and public way safe for users, environmentally sustainable, and in a state of good repair.
The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) recognized inefficiencies in how they coordinated their city infrastructure projects and was looking for a way to reduce waste by aligning the efforts of different departments. CDOT needed a solution that allowed multiple departments to visualize city projects and collaborate in order to resolve conflicts and eliminate duplicative projects.
The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) has revolutionized their project management and saved over $24 million in 2014 with the dotMaps GIS application, built by SADA Systems in coordination with Collins Engineers. The dotMaps application provides a platform for city infrastructure projects to be displayed visually in order to see and address conflicts at a glance. Departments of Transportation (DOTs) and other government agencies can easily communicate between different departments in order to efficiently utilize resources, align efforts and avoid duplicative projects. Utilizing the power of Google Maps and Google Cloud Platform, dotMaps is a revolutionary tool that provides organizations with the ability to save money and work more effectively by visualizing their data to make better decisions.
Results and Benefits
”SADA has been a close and collaborative partner in our work to improve the management of the public way. The familiarity of the Google Maps platform and dotMaps’ ease of use has helped to further encourage collaboration between multiple stakeholders. It is also helping us to measure the results of the collaboration in real dollars and time savings,” said George Keck, Collins’ Project Manager for the City of Chicago PCO.
dotMaps allows users to edit and create information associated with different projects, visualize projects geospatially, and easily highlight relevant interrelationships. The editing and creating of projects is conducted within the familiar and user-friendly interface of Google Maps Street View. Users can view the locations and progress of various projects at a glance, and admins have greater control and transparency with the ability to track recently modified projects and approve changes. Users can discuss projects instantly with chat notifications for each project and are always kept up-to-date with email alerts for any changes made.
Designed as a centralized hub of information, dotMaps seamlessly syncs with multiple data formats, including designs, transmittal forms, PDFs, MOUs, and more. Any potential project conflicts are generated in real-time, resulting in faster resolution and a huge reduction in wasted resources. Backed by the power of Google Cloud Platform, dotMaps provides 99.9% guaranteed uptime for stability and high processing power.
Features and benefits of dotMaps:
- Provides a cost-effective, collaborative, and userfriendly way to coordinate the work of utilities companies within the public way
- Allows user to edit and create information associated with different projects, visualize projects geospatially, and easily highlight relevant interrelationships
- Edit and create projects within the familiar and user-friendly interface of Google Maps Street View
- View locations and progress of various projects at a glance and easily see potential conflicts, resulting in a huge reduction in wasted resources
- Greater control and visibility for admins to track recently modified projects and approve changes
- Discuss projects instantly through integrated chat notifications for each project and receive real-time updates through email notifications
- Seamlessly syncs with multiple data formats, including designs, transmittal forms, PDFs, MOUs, and more