Google Docs has made life a whole lot easier. It offers an entire suite of office productivity software online. It’s free for consumers and extremely affordable for businesses of all sizes. You don’t need to download anything onto your PC, and all your data is stored in the cloud and is accessible to you from anywhere around the world. All you need is a Google account to access this powerful utility.
Apart from just offering word processors and spreadsheets, Google Docs possess some very powerful features. In fact, for most organizations, a Google Apps deployment requires extensive administrator and end-user Google Apps training to get everyone up-to-speed. But some of you might be interested in teaching yourself the basics to get a head start, so here are the top 5 Google Docs tips and tricks to harness the enormous potential of Google Docs:
- Share Folders (Collections): All your documents and spreadsheets stored online on Google Docs folders can be shared instantly with any other Google account holder. The folders are appropriately named “Collections” and help keep you and your project members organized. Presentations, Docs, Spreadsheets, Forms, uploaded files and videos can all be added in the collection. You can invite your coworkers to jointly edit the document with you, and the application will even provide a chat window so that you can communicate with each other while you edit the document.
- Docs Viewer: This is a very cool Google Docs feature. If you ever come across documents, PDFs or presentations online, you no longer need to download them. Simply open them with the Docs Viewer. It will open the document in a separate tab and display them online. You don’t need to download the document and most importantly, you don’t have to worry about installing the application necessary to view the downloaded file. Docs Viewer lets you view a wide range of documents online without worrying about installing all those applications on your system. What’s more, you can even save the document into your Collection on Google Docs and view them anytime from anywhere without having to browse for it again.
- Forms: One of the coolest things about Google Docs is that it doesn’t restrict itself to documents and spreadsheets. The Form tool lets you create a form that you can send out to conduct surveys with multiple recipients. The form tool will allow you to create fields of input that vary from multiple-choice to text input fields. It collects the input from all the recipients and publishes it into a neat little spreadsheet for you to review.
- Blog Publishing: With Google Docs, you can easily publish your document to any blogging platform you like. It is simple to use, and you can quickly setup a blog publishing platform on Google Docs.
- Format conversion: Converting file formats have always been constant source of frustration. More often than not, you would have to shell out a lot to buy software that can handle the conversion. With Google docs, you no longer have to worry about formats. You can download the document from your Google Docs folder in any format you choose!